Sunday, September 30, 2007

Why I believe in God

Atheism is illogical and impractical. It is self-contradictory because the one who does not believe God exists is effectively claiming to have infinite knowledge that One with infinite knowledge does not exist (Huh?). It is impractical because atheism was tried by numerous tyrants including Hitler and Stalin, and it failed miserably. Hitler, who followed the philosophy of F Nietzsche and gave a copy of Nietzsche's book to his ally Benito Mussolini, made the choice to oppose all religion (yet every major denomination supported him originally) and specifically Christianity. Remember Hitler was merely trying to help evolution along by destroying the weaker races and people. Stalin made Hitler look like a saint by killing at least 50 million people in trying to follow F Nietzsche and K Marx. F Nietzsche wrote that "God is dead, and we killed him." He also understood that with god gone a "superman" or "super race" would be created to fill the void. He predicted that with god dead mankind would see the 20th century as the bloodiest century ever. He was right, in fact, it has been argued that the 20th century was bloodier than the previous 19 centuries put together. Atheism applied is not practical to human civilization. The question that remains is, why in the world do we, as followers of Jesus, make decisions without considering or by effectively denying God. That is, why do I make choices from an atheistic perspective? That is worse than illogical and impractical... it is close to pure stupid. May God be merciful to me a sinner.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

HPaul,

I love reading the Dilbert Blog (http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/). Scott Adams is a really smart and really funny atheist cartoonist. Read his blog if you want a smart atheist's take on why it makes sense to be an atheist.

There are brilliant people on both sides of the aisle, and to me it doesn't come down to a logical argument for or against the existence of God, but rather to the unseen dimension of the spirit, which atheists deny and which Christians (attempt to) live in.

The most logical atheist argument, as I understand it, is that evidence and logic are overwhelmingly opposed to the existence of God. I can't really argue with that--we can't really prove the existence of another dimension to human existence, a spiritual dimension, can we? No.

But we know it exists. We live in it, day by day. It's a circular argument, I suppose, from an atheistic and logical perspective, because where does our confidence in this realm come from? From God. How do we know it comes from God? Because we experience it.

I guess, to me, the bottom line is that God is responsible for changing the atheist's mind--not me.

Meanwhile, I appreciate the arguments and logic and humor that a guy like Scott Adams brings to discussion.

E. Peevie

Hpaul said...

It almost sounds from the Bible like we are God's agents to convince atheists and others of the existence of a loving God. Peter says always ready to give a defense for the hope that is within. I see the Apostle Paul arguing with various groups concerning the Gospel. Mostly he uses historical and rational arguments. I tend to think we should give that ready defense with a bit more than feelings or experience. Experience is a good place to go, but I think not necessarily a good place to start. We should also be aware that the things that can be known about God are (in Romans 1) obvious to even the casual observer. Finally, I have communicated with numerous atheists about the logic of theism and atheism, and none have given me a reasonable argument for their absolute belief that the absolute does not exist. To me, most atheists have tried to play semantic games with the word atheism. I have tried to find an atheist dealt with in Scripture and I cannot. The Bible deals with tons of skeptics, but I havent found an atheist. Sorry to ramble.

Audrey Blumber said...

I appreciated your convicting question regarding why I (someone who claims to believe in God) live my life sans God. That thought is something I and my community have been wrestling with lately.